Thursday, January 12, 2017

Writing Prompts - The Korean Artifact

Wow - only 2 blog posts in 2016...you'd think I don't really like to write.  It turns out that I enjoy writing, but only when it comes to letters, notes and journals.  Kris has been encouraging me to write more - he has this idea that I should write a book, but I'm not sure I've got it in me.  So this year, I'm going to do something a little different with this blog (like actually write in it - that would be different).  I'm going to take photos of everyday objects in my life and use them as writing prompts.  It might be a fiction piece, it might be poetry, or it might be reminiscences of how that object came to be in my life.  Ideally, I'd be doing this weekly, but keep in mind that if I only do 3 in 2017, it will be more than I did in 2016.  Let us begin...

He had looked everywhere for this little treasure.  In fact, it had been his one defining obsession since Jack died and left him with so many questions.  He'd known it had existed - he'd been with Jack in South Korea when they had been following a lead on a case and it had mysteriously appeared in Jack's bag after a long train trip.  At the time, Jack had been surprisingly cagey, examining it furtively and then pocketing it without much explanation.  When Doug had questioned him about it, he'd shrugged and said it was a gift from a secret admirer and they'd laughed it off.  Shortly before Jack was killed, however, he mentioned it in an email to Doug, saying,

"Remember that little gift from my secret admirer in South Korea?  I've been doing some research and it appears that it may be quite valuable, or at least valuable to certain people.  It has unusual properties, quite fascinating.  Someone has contacted me via third party about acquiring it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to part with it yet.  I'd like to explore its capabilities some more before I let it go.  I'll show it to you the next time we have a case together.  Until then, I'll probably err on the side of caution and keep it hidden."

Three days later, Jack was found dead in an alley nearly 10 miles from his home.  He'd been tortured and then shot.  Doug was certain that the Korean artifact was key to solving Jack's murder and he was even more certain that the killer had not gotten it.  That was 8 months ago.  Jack had not made it easy to find this tiny casket; it had been well hidden indeed.  Following hunches, cryptic notes, half-baked guesses, and running into a myriad of dead ends, Doug had finally tracked it down, in an old ratty gym bag stuffed in a locker somewhere.  Doug set it down on his old, scratched desk, and realized upon closer inspection that with a little manipulation, the top was removable.  He looked inside.

-----

Me, again.  I feel pretty "meh" about that entry, but it's a start.  I received this little trinket many years ago from my brother-in-law who used to travel to far-off places for his job.  I think it came from Korea, but couldn't testify to it in a court of law with any certainty.

Behold, you desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

Psalm 51:6











No comments:

Post a Comment