Friday, January 17, 2014

Detour

The cons: detours take you away from your planned route, usually represent a delay of some sort, and often reek of the unknown.  When I see a detour sign I usually have to stifle ( or not) a sense of impatience.  If I'm traveling unfamiliar roads, a layer of anxiety leaks in, for who knows how far out of they way I will be directed or even if the signs will be clear enough to follow?   I don't like detours.

The pros:  it is far better to contemplate the fact that detours exist for the very good reason that the original road was badly in need of repair or in need of improved design.  Detours and repairs don't last forever and when the sign goes down, the roads are smooth, new and much improved.  It turns out the engineer knew what he was doing and that the cause of irritation is really a reason to be thankful.

Why can I not remember this when God puts a detour sign up in my life?  Why do I always bemoan the changes, the delays and the uncertainty?   The Engineer knows what He is doing.  Thanks be to God.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"Plans for welfare and not for calamity."
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment