Monday, December 31, 2012

Twelve Traditions of Christmas - Part 6


FUNKY CHOIR BOYS.  This is a relatively recent tradition, actually.  We inherited 4 choir boys from my husband's parents when they moved.  Naturally, I found them charming and started putting them up in our windowsills when I did the rest of the Christmas decorating.   I had them facing inward, but mysteriously, I kept finding them turned around.  The story came out: others found them creepy and when I wasn't in the room, someone would turn them to face outward so we didn't have to look at their faces.   I mean, really!  Look at these cherubic faces and ask yourself how anyone could find them creepy.  A tradition was born.

I continue to put these out on our windowsills every year when I do our Christmas decorating.  For the rest of the season, silent and anonymous stalkers turn them around when I'm out of the room. And when they're not around, I turn them back again.  The key thing is not to get caught in the act.  No one really talks about it either - it's an unspoken vigilance.

Long may they sing.



6 comments:

  1. The worst part is, even if you turn them outward, you can still see the reflection of their sinister little faces in the window. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the real reason we turn them facing outward is because, like gargoyles, they scare away demons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Brad, thinks they look like Chuckie. He has offered to post a picture for comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuckie? By all means, post a picture! Do you remember these choir boys being in your home, Karen?

    ReplyDelete