Friday, December 14, 2012

Twelve Traditions of Christmas - Part 1

Blog? What blog?  So much for my goal of blogging at least twice a month (which sounded sort of minimal as it was).   I could make all sorts of excuses, but nobody wants to hear those.  I'm experiencing a "move on" moment in the form of an idea I had about writing about some of our Christmas traditions.   Don't expect to hear the kinds of things that will make you want to take notes - it's all very simple, really.  Some of our traditions have come from my growing up years, others are things that have evolved while our own children have been growing up.  That's all the introduction I've got, so here goes Number 1 (not in any order of importance, mind you, but somewhat in chronological order).

CHRISTMAS MUSIC BANS AND BLESSINGS.  No Christmas Music until After Thanksgiving!   I mean it!   I happen to love Christmas music of almost all kinds (exceptions will be noted below). However, I like the anticipation of waiting to hear it and then the closure of putting those things away until the next year after the season is over.  We have a maverick in our household who occasionally likes to get everyone riled up by playing Christmas music at unapproved times, but for the most part, we have a united front on this one.


Full disclosure:  I'm not as fond of some of the secular Christmas songs.  "Jingle bells," "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus," "Frosty the Snowman," "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"...they all leave me kind of cold.  "I'll Be Home For Christmas" always reminds me of the first year we didn't go home for Christmas after we moved to Indiana, so I've got a big soft spot in my heart for that one.  My real favorites are the ones I grew up with, the ones that tell the story of Jesus: "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "O Come All Ye Faithful," "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," Joy to the World" and so forth.  Think about it, it's the one time of year when everywhere you go (literally!) you are surrounded by the gospel, saturated with it.

Having said all that, I don't think I'd be terribly unhappy if "The Little Drummer Boy" got dropped off everyone's playlist.  Pa rum pa pum pum!


1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. :) But of course, you saw my blog post on the same subject. I'll be going through the rest of this series!

    ReplyDelete