Thursday, March 3, 2011

Simply Red

Of course, only one of my three followers will understand the reference to "Simply Red," so for the other two, I'll explain that this was the name that a musician in the 1980's went by. The only song I remember of his was one in which the refrain went "that's all I have to say..." It's tempting to end this blog post right now with those words, since I'm not sure I have much to add.

Which of these photos do you think is more effective? I love the brightness of the red ornament against the two different backgrounds. The first photo recalls to mind Isaiah 1:18 "Come now and let us reason together, says the Lord, Though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be like wool." It's thought provoking to consider that our sins are that vivid before the Lord.


2 comments:

  1. ooooh, I can't decide which one I like best. They are both so striking, and in their beauty I can't use them as symbols for sin. For that you would need some bright red thing that is grotesque or ugly in some way....That's all I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, beauty and sin don't belong together. Sin should be represented by death, so perhaps a better illustration would be a dead animal, torn and bleeding, lying on a bed of white snow. I don't plan to take that photo, so you'll have to imagine it. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete