Friday, November 18, 2011

More Light

When you can't understand "The Idiot's Guide to..." you know you're in trouble.  Such was the case when I started reading photography books, including the Idiot's Guide.  I realized early on that I didn't care about the mechanics of how digital photography works, the acronyms (CCD! SR! RGB!) and all their environs.  I started to skip those chapters in the hopes of finding useful information further on, but was dismayed to find out that in order to get the most out of my camera, I had to disengage the autopilot and engage my brain to make all sorts of decisions.  Is it good for me?  Of course!  Has it been a road filled with error, confusion and frustration?  Absolutely.  I kept large note cards beside me while I read and jotted down all sorts of information that I promptly forgot.  I'm not one of those people who learns by reading; I learn by doing.  Now that I'm older, real learning only takes place when I do it A LOT.  Nevertheless, there have been small triumphs along the way.

Recently I was visiting my mom and dad at the nursing home where my dad lives.  There was a  flower in a vase by the window that caught my eye.  I took the photo  and of course the light coming in behind the vase obscured the flower in darkness - not a bad effect, but not what I was looking for.



As I pondered this business of the light, some dim memory began to surface about different options with light metering.  Didn't I read something about that 2 years ago when I was making all those notes?  Spot metering?  I managed to find it on the menu (no small feat - it's a jungle in there!), changed the setting and took another photo.  Amazing difference!


Although there's almost too much light in this photograph, my usual cry is "more light! more light!"  I crave light.  Even in the winter when opening the drapes means letting in more cold, I don't hesitate.  I have to have it.   My soul craves it as well; my cry to Jesus is "more light! more light!"   Psalm 36:9 says
"For with You is the fountain of life; 
     In Your light we see light."
There you have it.  More light must come from the Source of light and life.  It is He who opens up the aperture, who spreads wide the drapes that darken our souls.  Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. That was cool, scrolling down the page and discovering that the flower in shadow was really a bright and full of color. While this illustrates the physical principle that without light there is no color, I think it is a nice metaphor for what the light of Jesus does to a person. I also like the touch of the font color matching the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thoughts on this, which add even more to the blog post. Perhaps we should write together!

    ReplyDelete